UPGRADE THE MODEMS NOT THE SMART METERS!
All around the world mobile operators are shutting down 2G/3G networks in order to give way to 5G. Companies that operate smart meters with 2G/3G connectivity must plan the migration to the latest 4G LTE network which is well-positioned to dominate smart metering communication technologies in the upcoming years. The migration from GSM to UMTS has many advantages, for example, a shorter readout time due to the high-speed network with low latency.
Utilities have two options for migration: replace the meters or upgrade the modems within their routers! The 1st option comes with a high CAPEX, while the 2nd option is a future-proof solution that reduces TCO.
Our company develops cellular modems that work smoothly and are fully compatible with the different models of Honeywell / Elster electricity meters. These devices were designed to fit under the terminal cover of the meter and are compliant with all Honeywell / Elster standards.
Our cellular modems represent a future-proof migration solution to the LTE network with the same functionality, on higher data speed. Configuration and firmware updates can be done remotely, minimizing the need for costly site visits.
The modem’s case was designed to fit under the terminal cover of the mentioned Honeywell / Elster Alpha meters, or it can be mounted on a DIN-rail to serve as an external modem and connected to the meter through RS232 or RS485 connection. It can be configured to “push” the data it reads from the meter to the HES periodically at pre-programmed intervals or triggered by an alarm/event (for example, power outage, cover removal, reverse run etc.).
The modem reads actual and stored consumption data, recorded event logs, and load profile data, that can be used to read or modify certain parameters of the meter remotely. The device can be powered from the meter’s mains connection of the 57/100V AC power network (phase voltage) or 230/400V AC power network (line voltage).
It can be accessed remotely through the cellular network and it can send data on the Internet by using an APN.
The modem is fully configurable by our WM-E Term® software.
- 2G, 3G, 4G LTE Cat.1 / Cat.4, and LTE Cat.M / Cat.NB wireless modules (order option) – „fallback” feature
- It can be assembled into the meter’s enclosure and fastened securely (sealed and separated from meter)
- Design & connectivity meets with meter standards
- Power supply (AC) from metrology (optional DC)
- RS232 and/or RS485 port (2 or 4-wire), RJ12 option
- Compatible with the Elster® / Honeywell® Alpha A1500, A1700, A1800, A1140/A1160 meters
- Surge protection option (from 4kV up to 12kV)
- „Push” data sending (FTP or IEC push, SMS trigger)
- IEC 62056-21 protocol
- Scheduled data sending or triggered by an alarm
- Remote & safe firmware update and configuration
- Supercapacitor option (for power outage), notification
- Expansion option: 2-input module (tariff/switch status)
- Utility companies
- Meter data transmission to the HES centre
- Smart Metering
- Industrial measurement